Re: [IP] infusion sets- small kids

Our son Luke has only used the 90-degree angle sets
(SofSet & QuickSet) from MiniMed since going on the
pump 3/5/01.  We use the 6mm cannula - tried the 9mm
the first week and those are too deep-they bleed on
him.  The only problem with blockage ever came from
when the SofSets didn't stick, came out, and then bent
the cannula, or from when either set was stuck into a
muscle instead of fat (we had some site-refresher
training to correct this).  The QuickSets stick so
well that this hasn't been a problem.  And our last
problem with sites mysteriously going bad has been
resolved for 2-1/2 weeks so far with Humalog/Regular
mix (about 5:1).

I can't even imagine trying to do a manual insertion
on Luke.  He would freak out w/out his inserters.  We
don't do any Emla, ice or anything.  We just bathe
him, prep the site (alcohol then IV Prep or Bard skin
protectant), then use the inserter tool.  Hurts him
for about the same amount of time as a shot.

Good luck.  I personally would use Tegaderm right away
if I were trying SofSets again since the IV3000 +
SofSet does not stick well through 3 days of sweaty
play and bath.  We'll be using QuickSets w/ longer
tubing until the short/short supply is resolved.
Shelly V, Austin, TX, mom to Luke, 6, dx'd 10/15/99,
pumping 3/5/01 MM508 + QuickSets

Do You Yahoo!?