Re: [IP] Sleep Study Discrimination

Bud;
This is a very good explination.
I use a CPAP, Sleep Apnea index of 72 (Wake up 72 times per hour without
it).
Fran, I also had a UPPP done - it lowered my pressure, but I still have to
use the CPAP.
It was VERY painfull, and NOT FUND AT ALL. Helped some, don't know if it was
worth it.

AS FAR AS SLEEP APNEA GOES - IT WASN'T DISCOVERED UNTEL 1985. STUDIES ARE
RELATING IT
TO OVER 50 PERCENT OF ADULT HEART ATTACKS IN THE NIGHT. IF YOU DO NOT BREATH
RIGHT,
YOUR BODY GOES INTO SELF PROTECTION(PROTECT YOUR BRAIN) AND STARTLES YOU -
WAKES YOU UP SO THAT YOU WILL GET O2. THIS LACK OF SLEEP IS BAD IN AND OF
ITSELF - BUT IT ALSO CAUSES YOUR HEART TO EXPAND OR ENLARGE  TO TRY TO
COMPENSATE - THIS CAUSES THE INCREASE RISK OF HEART ATTACTS.

SLEEP STUDY - DOC MUST ORDER - MUST HAVE  FOR ANYONE SNORING!!!!
CPAP - ABOUT 800-1,000.00 DOLLARS - MOST INSURACE WILL COVER MOST OF COST
UNDER
DURABLE MEDICAL SUPPLIES. NOTE: CPAP usues ONLY room AIR  - NOT O2, the
extra pressure,
Measured in cm or water H20 displaced in a tube) allows the soft pallett and
thorth to be expanded, and lessing the obstructive sleep apnea's.

Carl

Contact me if you need any more information -
If in dought - get it checked out....could save your life....
AND - you only need to were it at night NOT 24/7 -
Could even get a two machine(Pump and CPAP discount - just kidding)

CPAP stands for Continuous Positive Air Pressure, and is a device used to
keep one breathing while sleeping.Sleep apnea is a common cause of snoring,
where an individual does not breathe regularly whether because of
obstruction
or sleep pattern irregularity and the snore is when the body realizes that
it
hasn't taken a breath for too long, that huge breath (i.e. snore) is the
body's last ditch effort to breath. A mask fits over the person's nose or
mouth and nose (depending on which mask-there are many) and connects with a
respirator type corrugated tubing to the machine which forces a gentle
stream
of air through the nostrils/mouth & nostrils to provide a steady stream of
air into the person's lungs.  It will stop snoring, and will allow you to
awake much more refreshed than without it.  Been there, done that!!!!

A sleep study is usually required not just to make the diagnosis, but to see

if the reasons are a physical obstruction or a neurological one (for
instance, my problem was that I was kicking out of REM sleep 19 times an
hour, where I don't have a physical obstruction- but a neurological one, and

it was causing a breathing disorder
that was greatly helped by the CPAP.  It also is useful to help them
determine what settings the machine need to be at to allow you to sleep
comfortably without being set too high to cause sinus problems.

You definitely do need a doctor's prescription for this device, and rightly
so because if it is set too high, pressure can cause sinus damage.

I hope this answers your questions, how did I do Spot?

Cheryl
aka Mouse

Enjoy each day...
Carl R. Findeiss