[IP] Morning Basals

Hi Chris,
You asked about morning basals and dawn phenomenon.  My
morning rise is so great that my basals go from .08 until 4:AM then
they are 1.4, 6:00 AM - 1.7until 10:00 AM when they go back to
.09.    And even with that, even a carton of yogurt for breakfast will
require a bolus of 6 - so my insulin/cho ratio is almost 1/1  for
those morning hours.  And I still have to keep a close eye on it.
One thing I drink coffee with nutrasweet and fat free/sugar free
coffeemate and that will shoot me up also.  I would love to wear the
glucose monitoring thing for a few days to pin the rise down to the
moment...but it is working our fairly well. So, yeah, the dawn
phenomenon is alive and well in my life...and I couldn't figure it out
until I read about it on this list, and in John Walsh's book.   This list
of pumpers is a first rate learning place, and it is continually
evolving as a learning place for even the old timers who still learn a
thing or two and thankfully share their experiences so the new
pumpers can benefit.....and so it goes around.

My experience in that early morning rise is to do several morning
fasts (no food after midnight until about noon.  Testing as often as
you can.  I tested approximately every half hour to an hour after I
woke up at 6:00 AM.  Just couldn't believe how much it went up.
Then I adjusted basals, and tweaked and finally got a pretty close
set of basals.
Good luck, keep us posted.