Re: [IP] Sleep Study Discrimination

On 6 Jun 2001, at 12:52, Bud Hopper wrote:

> What is a CPAP?  I snore horribly!  My wife said I have sleep apnea.
> I am tired all the time.
> Is a sleep study necessary to diagnose sleep apnea?  Could one obtain
> this CPAP device without going through all those gyrations?
> Any info you can provide would be appriciated.  I have thought about
> this for a long time.
> Bud

I had the "combined" sleep test where they diagnose the first half
of the night (60 arousals per hour, meant I woke up every minute)
and then they titrate (discover the amount of pressure necessary to
keep your airway open) the second half.  After that second half,
where I actually SLEPT for the first time in YEARS, I really didn't
want to be woken.   ;>)

The CPAP is an expensive machine.  I enquired about purchasing
it outright, but was glad I waited.  It was almost expensive as the
insulin pump and worth it just as well.  I am now "double-pumped".