Re: [IP] Sleep Study Discrimination

CPAP stands for Continuous Positive Air Pressure, and is a device used to
keep one breathing while sleeping.Sleep apnea is a common cause of snoring,
where an individual does not breathe regularly whether because of obstruction
or sleep pattern irregularity and the snore is when the body realizes that it
hasn't taken a breath for too long, that huge breath (i.e. snore) is the
body's last ditch effort to breath. A mask fits over the person's nose or
mouth and nose (depending on which mask-there are many) and connects with a
respirator type corrugated tubing to the machine which forces a gentle stream
of air through the nostrils/mouth & nostrils to provide a steady stream of
air into the person's lungs.  It will stop snoring, and will allow you to
awake much more refreshed than without it.  Been there, done that!!!!

A sleep study is usually required not just to make the diagnosis, but to see
if the reasons are a physical obstruction or a neurological one (for
instance, my problem was that I was kicking out of REM sleep 19 times an
hour, where I don't have a physical obstruction- but a neurological one, and
it was causing a breathing disorder
that was greatly helped by the CPAP.  It also is useful to help them
determine what settings the machine need to be at to allow you to sleep
comfortably without being set too high to cause sinus problems.

You definitely do need a doctor's prescription for this device, and rightly
so because if it is set too high, pressure can cause sinus damage.

I hope this answers your questions, how did I do Spot?

aka Mouse