[IP] To Amanda re: pump/pregnancy

I started the pump midway through my pregnancy as they were not as common
then (1988).  My blood sugars were excellent (A1C 5.8 at the end), but I did
have other complications.  I developed retinopathy and had laser surgery in
my 9th month.  However, it has not recurred since then.  I was also
pre-eclampsic and due to higher blood pressure and swelling, had a c-section.
 My son was fine, but did spend a few days in neonatal intensive care due to
an infection.  Due to such a difficult pregnancy, my husband and I chose not
to have another child.  I didn't want to take any chances so that I could be
around for the child we have.  He just turned 13. :)   I don't know how long
you've had diabetes, but I would guess that complications would perhaps be
less if hasn't been as long as me.  I had already been diabetic for 24 years
when I got pregnant.

Talk to your doctors about how long you should maintain control before
getting pregnant.  For me it was 6 months, and I had gotten my A1C down to
6.8 on 4 shots a day.

Good luck to you and your future family.