Re: [IP] Velosulin and Regular With Humalog

> I know various times you have posted that you have information on
> mixing Velosulin/Regular with Humalog for pump use.  I use Comforts
> (same as Sils and Tenders) and always get a red mark surrounding the
> canula with using Humalog. Two weeks ago I had the Continuous
> Glucose Monitor Sensor (with the same type of cannula) attached for
> 96 hours straight.  When removing that cannula there was no redness
> at all and in just a day I couldn't even tell where it had been.  It
> had been inserted with the soft-serter.  Therefore I am wondering if
> I am sensitive to the Humalog or there is just that much difference
> in the cannulas/insertions/etc between the Comforts and the CGMS.

There is not a page with info on it per-se. The subject of mixing
H and V or R has been discussed in many threads on the list. I would
first encourage you or anyone else suspecting a sensitivity to H to
use some other insulin for a week or two to verify that whatever
symptoms you see that makes you suspect a sensitivity GO AWAY on
straight Velosulin or Regular. I know it is a pain to use a slower
insulin, but the time needed to verify your suspicions is short. Many
people have skipped this step successfully, but my engineering
background makes me suspicious and prone to want solid answers first

The question has come up periodically about mixing Humalog and
Velosulin or regular insulin to reduce or eliminate infusion site
corruption / loss. There is substantial ancedotal evidence that this
mix solves the immediate problem however WHY is not clearly
understood. Around 5% of pumpers report a sensitivity (not an
allergy) to Humalog that is mediated by mixing a small amount
of Velosulin or regular with the H. Current science indicates that
the underlying problem is related to lispro chemistry and the
presence of lispro monomer in the tubing. What is going on in the
tubing set appears to be an interaction between lispro, the tubing
and any human insulin in the formulation. It is believed that the
addition of Velosulin competes for lispro monomer and that the
lispro-insulin heterodimer is more stable than the lispro-lispro

Any persons working on this problem or physicians seeking additional
information / explaination for patient treatment should contact me
privately by telephone or e-mail and I will provide contact
information for the folks doing the investigation so that you may
obtain a better understanding of the science behind this. The
information may be limited as there are intellectual property
considerations that have not yet been resolved.

Michael Robinton
Executive Director