[IP] Podiatrist Appt. - What to expect

I am toying with the idea of seeing a Podiatrist.  I was born with flat feet
which have atriphied over the years.  My feet have always been very tender
(It would hurt to step on a dime).

I have pain in my knees, hips, and lower back that I think are related to my
congenital condition.  I believe inserts for my shoes would help a great
deal, but I am reticent to see a Podiatrist because I have heard they like
to inject Cortizone into the feet.  I will not let them do it!

Do any of you have a similar problem that you have seen a Podiatrist for?
What should I expect from an appointment?

Thanks friends!