[IP] Re: Good News-HA1c

Just wanted to share some good news I got this morning, which really helped
to make my day.
    When Claire was dx with DM in our town, just before turning 3, her HA1c
was 7.2.  Two and a half months later we went to Sick Kids Hospital in
Toronto for education and her HA1c was 6.2.  They were amazed and must have
noticed that we were compliant patients.  We moved away right after that and
blood glucose control  quickly worsenend and over the next 3 years she became
extremely hard to control.  Best HA1c done in Canada was 9.7, worst last
November was 11.  When living in the UK they were sometimes better, but
serious nightime lows were balancing out extremely high and erratic afternoon
    We moved back to Canada so Claire could start on a pump and returned to
Sick Kids.  They said no, her control was not good enough to have a pump and
I think the doctor (same one from 3 and a half years earlier) was just
labelling us non-compliant patients.  I quickly went elsewhere and found a
great hospital and great endo, who is actually a closer drive to us.  On pump
start-up day in April, Claire's HA1c was 10.  Seven and a half weeks later,
it was down to 8.1.  I am so happy, I had hoped for around 8.0, but as she
had major surgery in the middle of this time, along with various pump
problems I wasn't sure...
    I know that 8.1 is not a great HA1c, but its a lot better than 11!!  And
I can sure see the difference in my little girl--her big brown eyes shine
again. We will aim for 7.5 as our next target, but her bgs continue to be
quite erratic, so will just do the best we can.

Barbara, Mum of Claire 7, pumping 8 weeks today with the H-tron
Thank you all for your great advice and anecdotes about pumping