[IP] New Pumpers update

Thought I would share an update with the mailing list.

I started on a minimed pump a few months ago using Humalog alone.  My prior
HbA1c was around 5.2, managed with a lot of humalog, a fixed diet, lots of
lows, and 4-5 shots a day (H/N).

I had already been carb counting so going on the pump was not too
difficult.  It took about a week to set my basals correctly (had to correct
for a larger than anticipated dawn phenomenon, and reduction of insulin
intake by about 30%).  I have lost about 20 pounds due to eliminating a lot
of fat from my diet (was slowing carb absorbtion too much for the humalog),
and being able to skip meals when I don't feel like eating (I had almost
forgotten this was possible).  Scaling back usage during the weight loss
was fairly easy and rational to plan.  A few variables remain hard to
account for like restaurant food but guesstimating is mostly a thing of the
past.  Had a few scares with blood pools leaking out upon site removal but
no site infections thus far.  Reading the list was a great preparation for
going on the pump -- thanks for sharing your experiences!

My last HbA1c was 4.8 with lab normal being < 6.  I have many fewer lows
now and enjoy the ability to sleep in as long as I want (I had forgotten
how much I missed that).

I do have one question on bubbles in the reservoir for the more experienced
on the list.  How do I prevent bubble formation which occurs after loading
the reservior?  The insulin is at R/T when I load it, all bubbles have been
removed, and yet 1-2 hours after loading numerous bubbles have always
formed (not too sizable, but prob .1-.2 units worth).  I've tried keeping
the insulin under slight negative pressure in the bottle in case it was
dissolved gases popping out under atmospheric pressure but to no
avail.  Any solutions?  The bubbles don't present a problem unless I go
down to the last 20-30 units of reservior volume.

Dave S.