Re: [IP] Saline

In a message dated 6/1/2001 9:09:25 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

>  Everyone talks about starting on saline
>  a week or so before going on insulin in their pump. When I mentioned this
>  my CDE she had never heard of this. I was just wondering what area this
>  practice takes place?

I imagine it's safe to say that the practice of doing a saline trial varies
more from endo to endo or clinic to clinic than by region of the country . .

For what it's worth, our pump start was preceeded by a one week saline trial
at the Barbara Davis Center for CHildhood Diabetes in Denver, Colorado.
Since they deal primarily with kids (plus teens and some young adults), I
think they tend to lean towards the conservative side of things in order to
keep everyone as safe as possible . . .

A saline start lets you get familiar with the day to day operation of your
pump and also with the process of changing infusion sets.  I'm glad that we
did a saline start, but I must admit that if I was an adult starting on the
pump  I probably wouldn't have been able to resist getting going on insulin
as soon as I got the pump in my hot little hands.  Plenty of folks have
started right out on insulin very successfully -- so don't feel like you were
short changed by not "getting to" pump saline for a while . . .