[IP] Breakthrough in transplant tolerance

I received this from another group I am on.  Thought I would pass on the
hope \

Arianna

Researchers find breakthrough in transplant tolerance

Updated: 2001-06-01 11:12:59-05
http://www.wndu.com/news/mommo/mommo_1327.php

New animal research being done at the University of Alabama in Birmingham
may
potentially hold answers for children with Type One diabetes and thousands
of
organ donor recipients. 'Tolerance' is a process that tricks the immune
system
of monkeys into accepting transplanted tissue without the need for long term
anti-rejection drugs.

> Margaret Tresler, 35, has had four kidney transplants, after lupus, an
> auto-immune disease, caused her own kidneys to fail. On a daily basis, she
> takes three expensive anti-rejection drugs that have serious side effects.
> "One of them is bone disease. I have osteoporosis and they also do some
other
> things, make me more susceptible to getting other infections," says
Margaret.