RE: [IP] De Pression

Darrin Parker [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> OK, I'm getting really PO'd that I've been scewed around here
> twice by the
> medical establishment.  I am told over and over that it is
> all my falut
> that I am depressed and don;t have perfect bg's.

Darrin, let me add my two cents (and an apology for misspelling your name

Whether or not depression is cognitive, chemical, or a combination, or
something else entirely, it is most definitely NOT your fault.  Truth be
told, depression is probably at least as complicated and with as many
"flavors" as diabetes.  When I say that depression is treatable, I don't
mean any one single regimen.  If therapy is not working for you, then
perhaps you should also ask to be evaluated for appropriate medication.

As a general observation, we diabetics seem to be encouraged (for the most
part) to take charge of healthcare, and to consider ourselves to be captain
of the healthcare team.  It is, after all, *OUR* disease, not the doctor's
(with notable exceptions!).  Those who treat other diseases seem to have not
adopted this way of thinking, however, thinking that they know best, and
giving us the "if you aren't getting better by doing what I say then you
must be non-compliant" bulls**t.

Darrin, I wish you the best, and I encourage you to take command of this as
well as your diabetes, and assertively go for the treatment you need.  I
know that's easier for me to say than for you to do.

You are in my prayers.

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR