Re: [IP] pumping for surgery

Claudia wrote:
> Well, I am freaking out about surgery myself.
> going in for foot surgery soon and I am scared that they will kill me

Well, don't freak...Unless you are going to be UNCONSCIOUS for hours, I do
NOT recommend you take off your pump.  It is imperative that you monitor your
bg the day before CAREFULLY...They say no food after midnight usually, which
means you BETTER have some flat line blood sugars by then...If you start
dropping, the bestt hing to do is CUT your basal rate, or even turn the pump
off for a while.

Aim your range HIGHER than you normally do...my normal range is 100-150.  For
both vitrectomies AND my laparotomy, I aimed for 150-200 the night before,
tested throughout the night and up until the rolled me into OR...yes all
three times I brought my meter onto the gurney with me in a plastic bag.  And
yes, they wanted to take it away from me, and I wish I had seen Sara MG's
come back..."try and take it and you will draw back only a bloody stump..."

As for your friend who took off her pump due to being 50....who CARES if it
beeps???  The OR is full of beeps and whistles...it only beeps on the 1/2
hour anyway, so go for it.

As for being put on a glucose drip...this is OLD fashioned protocol.  Like
you said this was a short surgery.  There is no reason why she couldn not
have just had plain old saline.  It was NOT necessary for a glucose drip,
though perhaps they did it for her 50.  I would not want to be sucking valium
or morphine into my body with a bg of 50!!!  Make sure your endo or diabetes
doctor writes a letter to your attending telling them you are to stay on the
pump, what your bg range is, how much 1 unit of insulin lowers you/.  Speak,
personally, to your anesthesia person...That is a normal thing.  so ask for
him or her to sit down next to you...give him pump 101...The stupid doctor
who did my pre-op testing for the vitrectomy in May said I was to have a
glucose drip and my bg range should be like 125 - 175.  When the anesthesia
doctor came in, she asked me did I REALLY want a glucose drip....I said HELL
No....and I told her what my range REALLY ought to be (150-200), and she just
flipped the doctors letter to the back of the file...

Get it approved before you get on the gurney to have hubby or trusted friend
in the recovery room with you to help you with testing and bolusing,  Please
do not trust the nurses.  Not saying they are all bad, and I have many close
personal friends who are nurses, but just beware...Nurse Ratchet may be at
your doorstep!!!  This past May, I could not see after my vitrectomy (DUH)
and certainly did not want someone ELSE doing my bg, so I asked the nurse
what my meter said (I had done the test myself) and she said 266...dammit I
had been in the 180-200 range all night - had tested every 1-2 hours
throughout the night and tested 4 times before the surgery....So feeling like
a failure, I meekly bolused 2 units...an hour later when I got home I was
crashed...when I reviewed my meter history....it said 206, not 266!!!!!!
dammit!  I had stayed in my range pretty good and a NURSE f**ked me up!!!

Do not be scared.  Take charge.  tell your endo what you want him to put in
the letter.  Do not be afraid to speak up.  We have rights as patients to
make sure our health is NOT compromised!