[IP] Pumps are bad for people - long

The following snip was recently on this forum. I put the subject line the
way I
did because most people/pumpers here have first-hand knowledge of the
benefits of pumping. We do not like it when someone else knocks pumping.
Therefore, I went to my KPTX (kidney/pancreas transplant) list and asked
TXers themselves to respond to
that post. The responses follow. I felt I should include all who
contributed, sans names:
> not too long ago. It still seems that taking anti-rejection drugs leaves
> your body wide open to a lot of other infections: pneumonia, cancer,
> various infections. The one thing we heard from several people that
> finally convinced us was: "my worst day with diabetes was still better
> than my best day on anti-rejection drugs." >>>
years ago and the only illnesses I have had are 3 uninary tract infections.
I am exposed to germs all the time.  I teach high school during the year and
swimming to little kids during the summer.  Since tx, I have been to Spain
twice, Mexico 3 times, Morocco once and Venzuela once.  I didn't get sick
any of those places either.  Ironically, I got sick more often when I was
I'd have to think that person still hasn't SEEN their worst day with
I honestly think I got sicker more often before my first transplant. This
coming Wednesday will be my 14 year anniversary of my ktx and I've been on
immuno-suppresives ever since. It seems like my wife and 11 year old son
get sicker more often than I do. However, when I have gotten sick with a flu
or virus, it hits me extremely hard. But, for myself anyhow, there is
absolutely no question that the benefits greatly outweigh the cost
WOW!  Not in my wildest dreams did I ever think my life could be so
wonderful without the diabetes.  I am 5 weeks away from my 1 year
anniversary of my
new life. The only side effect I ever had with my meds was being jittery
in awhile.  Come to think of it, it's been a long time since I have had even
that. My hair has also thinned quite abit. But I will tell you this, I
would do it all over again in a heartbeat! No doubt. I truly wish pancreas
transplants would be widely accepted procedure prior to all the damage that
occurs. It makes no sense to me. I was very fortunate my eyes and kidneys
were OK after 35 years of diabetes and that my insurance company approved
the transplant.  Gastropathy is gone, neuropathy improving, albeit slowly,
longer hypotensive, no more worry of my blood sugar dropping to 20 without
me knowing it---what a life!
Jan and XXXXX,
I was always pretty healthy (illness wise) even as a diabetic. Strep throat
put me in ICU two times as a young adult though. As a nurse, I am
constantly exposed to germs in the hospital setting and have not gotten sick
transplant. Like you XXXXX, I did have several UTI's but the last antibiotic
I took wiped those out pretty good.  A friend and I are going on a 7-day
cruise to Mexico leaving 8/6 (the anniversary of when I got my call) and I
am not worried at all about getting sick down there.  I also eat at salad
without fear of getting sick.  There are so many things out there that can
make ANYONE sick, and if I do get sick, I will deal with it then.  Geez, the
air we breathe and water we drink are bad for us too. They also said we
would all get cancer from sugar substitues too.  Poor rats that were fed
ENORMOUS amounts of the stuff.
I think that for the most part people that experience transplantation do
fine, but there are some incidents of having difficulty. Transplantation is
not a guarantee, but it is a great hope, in most instances relief from
dialysis and ultimately death. Yes, I think we all have our troubles even
despite transplant. This person unfortunately had a rough time of it.  It
is what you want to base your opinion of transplantation on though.  We can
only say that for most of us, we would be dead or almost dead.
Their diabetes must have been fairly trouble-free.  I wonder how long they'd
had it.  Most likely hadn't suffered kidney failure, blindness, amputation,
etc.  I'm sick less often than before transplant because I'm more careful.
I had skin cancer before the antirejection drugs, so they don't scare me too
I or others would come home to a house destroyed while XXXX
would stumble around for hours knowing she should eat but being so low she
couldn't figure out how to. For that person After someone has to give her
first shot of glucagon she will change her mind.
I'd like to hear from these "several people" !!
First I don't think they may have looked into it that much (just my
opinion)   There are many of us here on the list that have had
problems after tx, and most have said they would do it again.  I'm
one of those cases.   I went through all the waitng, and feeling really
crappy, and wondering if it would every be better.  And finally,
getting the call.  And although you should never think it won't
happen to me.  You don't go around thinking, it will.   I never
expected  at 7 months out (hey that's today) that I would have a
kidney that isn't working.  They have finally defined it as a "Bad
Kidney"  I feel sorry for it when they say that.  So at this point we
know I will need another one.  But our goal is too keep this one as
long as we can.  But yes I would do it again.  Now in my situation I
really felt like I didn't have a choice.  My kidneys were failing, and it
is known that diabetics don't do well, or live long on dialysis.  I am
only 27, and was 25 when listed.  I felt I had a whole life ahead of
me and I wanted to be here to enjoy it.  I guess maybe I'm not far
enough out or something, because I really don't find my immuno.
drugs such a big deal. And cellcept and I don't get along.  But I
don't find it horrible.  and I know everyone feels different on stuff,
but I get so tired of hearing that this will kill you or that will kill you,
this causes cancer.  I don't think we would be safe if we lived in a
bubble and only drank water!!!  Something is going to kill us, even if
it is natural causes.  And I'm not going to sit around wondering
what it is that is going to take me out.  If I enjoy my diet coke, then
I'm going to drink it.  I do believe some things are foolsh to do, but I
also think most things are pushed to the extreme.  Everyone has
to make their own choice, and I have chosen to have a kptx, and
take my immuno drugs. And I feel my life is better because of it :)
I can honestly say that after 2 livers and a kidney transplant that I would
also do it again. I have had every complication I NEVER dreamed of and still
would do it again. After my first liver I told the doctors that they had
get this right because I was not doing it again. My mistake. How was I
to know that 8 months later I would be right in the same spot. Even with the
side effects from medication it is worth it.

JAN back here. So, these are actual TXers who are giving their
*testimonials* the same as we pumpers give ours. Take them for what they are
worth. 8^)
Jan (61 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83) & Bluda Sue (MM507C, 3/99)  webpage