From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf
Of Bonnie Richardson
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2000 3:07 PM
To: insulin pumpers
Subject: [IP] Re-using

SNIP>>>>My Q is, if one can put 300 units in one syringe for 5-6 days,
what's the
difference in putting 150 in 2 times? I often reuse my syringes.  <<<<<

This is my personal experience, not a recommendation for anyone:  I always
fill mine with 300 to save "work" on the reservior.  When changing out my
set, I pull on the reservoir to suck all the insulin back into the
reservoir.  If I have used the reservoir 2 times, I use a new one.
Sometimes I only use one once.  On a couple of occasions when I have used it
twice, I have had  delivery problems because the reservoir has "gone bad".
By that I mean, reusing may damage the lubricant/the double black "O" rings
at the end of the reservoir, causing a problem of insulin delivery.  Now,
this has only happened a couple of time.  But, it happens.  That is probably
why MM says only use once.  The remaining insulin in the tubing is never
wasted, because either I suck it back into the reservoir, or I put it back
in my current insulin bottle and use again.  I have never had a problem with
this, not in nearly 5 years of pumping.  Allways remember your mileage may
vary.   Incidentally, my last few new reservoirs have seemed a much "looser"
fit than previous ones, i.e., they pull back to rotate before use VERY
easily with none of the slight resistance the last batch had.  Anyone else
notice this?

Bonnie