[IP] Rover, go fetch me a snack with 4.3 units of Humalog

In the newly released third edition of Pumping Insulin you are quoted

on page 183: "Think about the pump like your family  dog
on a leash.  Imagine bringing your dog on the leash along as you take a bath,
eat out at restaurants, or when you play your championship soccer game.
Imagine sleeping with your dog on a leash in your bed!  Imagine taking the
leashed dog to school, being around your friends, and taking him on a date
with you.  If you think you can do this for three days, you probably have an
idea what it would be like to have an insulin pump connected to your body 24
hours a day, 7 days a week!"

I don't know when (or even if) you really wrote this but having worn a pump
for over 20 years (yes, I started with the old AutoSyringe 6 which one had to
dilute the insulin to acheive their basal rate) and I've NEVER had a pump do
any of the standard doggie things to me.  Maybe the backpack pumps from 25
years ago could be compared to dragging the fridge with you everywhere but
certainly not the relatively tiny pumps we have today (expecially with the
ability to wear it completely hidden and take injections via the remote).

While my pump in the past has rolled over and played dead (more than once with
the anceint AutoSyringes but by the Eugly they seemed to have the battery
eating ability of their pumps worked out) they NEVER ate my front door, barked
at the neighborhood kids or bit a mailman.

Not to mention my lawn was never 'watered' or 'fertalized' by the pump (nor
have any of my neighbors angrily asked me to pick up after it).  And while
having it connected to me on the catheter tubing I have never been dragged
down the block after something the pump is interested in.

PLEASE do something about this quote. I refuse to buy this book (which I had
been seriously thinking about) because of this and some other anti-pump
commentary which it contains.  While I appreciate that your quote may have
been taken out of context (or may never have been said) you should realize
that the it has caused quite a number of negative comments on the Insulin
Pumpers site (which I notice you are a medical board member of and where I got
your e-mail address from).

I ask you to please please post an explanation or otherwise to the site (are
you getting the digest?) so that we can understand how someone who wears the
pump could possilby compare it to Rover or Fido.

Thank you very much

Yerachmiel Altman