[IP] Getting on the pump

Good morning everyone,
Has anyone experienced putting your self or child on the pump at
home instead of going to the doctors office to do it?  Justin has
the minimed 508, just got it monday, but the doctor can't put him
on it because of his schedule and we are moving to San Antonio on
the 21st of July.  Justin wants to be on it before then.  I have
read and educated myself about the pump.  Know how to compute the
basal rates and Justin is already counting carbs to determine his
bolus rate of Humalog.  Would like to hear any experiences from
anyone that would like to share them, good or bad.  Thank you so
Carl Storlie