Subject: Re: [IP] Short term goal - get a pump!

In a message dated 6/28/00 10:57:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<<  The question should
 be.... " is there some reason to deny this child the most up-to-date
 treatment for his diabetes". >>

Ok -- my grammar may be a little off when I say he "needs a pump."  My reason
for saying this is that he is on 3 - 4 shots daily -- counts his carbs and
sticks to the amount he is supposed to have nearly all the time, exercises
and yet has high b/s almost everyday at dinner and sometimes nearly all day
and all night-- many of them 300 - high 400's.  There are days when he takes
extra shots and extra insulin in everyone of the shots and is still too high.
 Giving enough NPH to bring the predinner down into the 100- 200 range will
cause a low earlier in the day. I am so sick of messing with the dosage and
not finding any good solutions.  Everything I have read leads me to believe
his b/s would be much more stable with a pump.
The previous endos we had felt that he was too young and therefore too
immature for a pump.  He is 10! I know there are many, many children younger
than that on a pump.  The new endo has stated that age is not necessarily the
determining factor.  We will be going back to the endo in about 3 weeks.  For
now we are busy learning all that we can about the pump.  Thus far we have
viewed the MiniMed and Diestronic Videos and gone to a pump seminar.  I have
also been reading the posts here and talking privately with other parents of
pumpers.  It really seems to be the best treatment method available for him
and one that we need to explore.
Hopefully, this explanation clears up any misunderstanding about my statement
of "need."
Grand-mom to Cory
age 10 ~ dx'd 12/28/98