[IP] About Pumping Insulin and calling your pump a dog

Well, I've read this thread with interest.  I've got my new copy of Pumping
Insulin and was wondering where the statement comparing a pump to a dog was
at.  I just found it and read it.  I, being an adult on the pump, probably
would never have bothered much with this chapter since it deals with teens
going on a pump.  And, while I think comparing a pump to a dog is poor (if I
had a dog I sure wouldn't take it EVERYWHERE with me), I don't think the
book should be condemned just for this analogy.  There's so much useful
information in this book and I think the author was just trying to get
across to younger people that the pump goes EVERYWHERE with you.  It's not a
situation of get it now and leave it behind whenever you want.  When I first
discussed a pump with my endo, he cited all the patients he had that got
pumps, became disenchanted with all the work and effort involved, went back
on shots and relegated that pump to a dresser drawer.  I think that everyone
who considers pumping has to realize that this is something you live with
EVERY DAY.  And you must be committed to it.  Now, for myself, I was very
committed to keeping my bgs as close to "normal" as I could on MDI so having
the pump for me is a joy.  So much easier than MDI even though I had to
learn new techniques for using the pump.  And, as far as giving up my pump
and sticking it in a dresser drawer, I have to agree with others who say,
"they'll have to pry it out of my dead, cold hands when I die".  This is
just my 2 cents worth...

RoseLea and Max