Re: [IP] I've heard the good...what about the bad?

In a message dated 6/27/00 9:34:59 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< For example, what is
 the thing that dislike most about the pump?   Also, I keep hearing about the
 increased risk of DKA.  How often does this occur?  Is it a "once in a
 lifetime" occurance, or something that may occur as often as once a month? >>

Hi Chris,
I suppose there is technically a higher risk of DKA because you have no long
acting insulin in you.  For example, if something goes wrong with the pump
and you don't notice, you could go into DKA faster.  That's the theory.

However, in real life, at least for me, I think I have a much lesser risk of
DKA with pumping.  On the pump I am able to keep my bgs in a lower range,
between 70 and 150 the majority of the time, so that when I go high I really
feel it.  And with frequent bg checks, I do about 10/day, others are happy
with 6-8, I can see a high and correct it before it gets out of hand.  For
example, yesterday afternoon about 3pm I felt like crap, thirsty, cloudy
mind, the yucks.  I tested and was at 250.  Examined the pump, (you'll learn
how to troubleshoot), and found a large bubble going into the set at the
insertion point.  Changed out the set, did a crx bolus and was back to 122 in
90 minutes.

On MDI those 250s were a several times daily occurance and I came to accept
feeling like that as normal.  To me the most exciting thing about pumping is
the way I feel, increased energy, and feeling like I have a chance at getting
a bg I want.  On MDI it was more of a crap shoot, now pumping I usually get
what I aim for.  It's worth the work to learn, and the freedom from
structured eating/shots is wonderful.

Oh yeah, you wanted to hear the bad.  I most dislike changing sets and the
insertion.  I used bent needles at first (all there was), they were OK.  Then
went to sof sets, which took a lot more guts IMHO, as I always held my breath
and speared. Never tried the soft-serter which should make it easier.  Now
I'm using sils, which look scarry with a longer insertion needle, but since
inserted at a shallow angle are VERY easy to insert.

There's lots of choices to make, so most everyone can find a combination that
makes them happy now.

Good luck,
DM 20 yrs, 39 y/o, pumping 4 yrs w/ MiniMed 506, 3 wks with my new 508 (and
loving it more each day)