Re: [IP] Coverage for pump education classes-what does it cost?

In replay to RoseLea and Max
>Laura wrote:
> >>She says places like Joslin often charge $1200 or more. So,
>is anyone out there willing to share how much was their start up cost,
>and whether the insurance paid it all?<<
>Mine was $600 and so far I've been told by my insurance that no diabetes
>education at all is covered.  My endo has billed my insurance and so far
>I've heard nothing either way (but then, it's only been a month).
>RoseLea and Max...

I have Aetna US Health - when I received my Minimed 507C in May of 1999
Minimed provided me with 4 hours of pump training in my Endo's office.

I was never told that there would be a separate training charge nor was I to
pay any copay.

I thought the training was provided by the pump company - now if you don't
use the pump company to train and use your own CDE than you may be charge.

I would check the pump manufacturer to see if they provide training and it
should be included in the $5000 pump charge.

This is my understanding of what happened when I purchased my pump - but who
knows my Endo or Minimed may have billed my insurance without my knowledge.