Re: [IP] die thread die! (was: Cure for diabetes? HA!)

Most of what you said is very true.
There is a major shortage of all types of organ donations in this country.
Many people die everyday while waiting for transplants.
But what you were told about pancreas transplants is not as true anymore.
Many centers are doing pancreas alone transplants. Its true most of these
people are totally out of control through no fault of their own. Or have
sever hypo-unawareness. But some are using the transplants to improve the
quality of life.
I had a living donor kidney transplant in '96. I then had a pancreas
transplant in 98 and my diabetic control was probably the best I had had in
10 years or more.
Medicare will now pay for the pancreas transplant when it is done with the
I consider my self non-diabetic now. I eat what I want when I want and how
often I  want. Sometimes once a day.
The drugs are hard on some people I am fortunate that I have very minor side
effects from the drugs that are more annoying than a problem. The drugs like
many other treatments have come along way in the past few years. It is a
trade between one type of treatment with another. But knowing  treatment of
both [ diabetes and transplant] I will take the quality of life of a
"reformed" diabetic any  day.
Transplants aren't  the choice for everyone but it is right for me and many

Barry Bruce
email @ redacted