[IP] Another unhospital story

> he asked what I had eaten for dinner? Their response? The aide took her a
> tray, but she was asleep, so after an hour or so, she came back and
> it! I was asleep??!! My Dr. did royally ream them out, and then instructed
> my husband to go down to the gift shop and buy candy bars, which I was to
> keep in my nightstand, and to eat as soon as I felt I needed something!

In '61 when I had my first child, we knew nothing about hormone levels
changing, and lots of etc. I had a 5-day hosp. stay after delivery (& 5 days
b/4 - induced labor). I was feeling hypo often and asked the dr. if I could
have a package of graham crackers in my drawer to snack on when needed. He
okayed it. My meals seemed to be smaller and I was curious after a day or
two. Well, the dietitian DEDUCTED the entire calories of the g'crax off my
daily total! It was a wash - IF I ate them. The g'crax were there only if I
needed them!

I think that stay was also the time I awakened at 3:00 a.m. and called the
nurse that I needed juice. She stood there bawling me out for not having
eaten my cole slaw for dinner and I had caused this myself. I told her I did
not have cole slaw and she insisted I was the only one with a special diet
and did not eat it! I told her I didn't have it and I NEEDED something then
no matter what. She did bring the juice. Later she came in and apologized
that there actually was another patient on a special diet.  I told her even
if I had cole slaw and did eat it there weren't enough calories to sustain a

And, come to think of it after hearing our stories, wouldn't it be
interesting to hear THEIR sides of stories about all these non-compliant,
beligerent, self-destructive diabetics? They are the *educated* ones - we
live it.  YMMV
Jan (61 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83) & Bluda Sue (MM507C, 3/99)  webpage