[IP] "hiding" cures et al.

As a member of academia, I can assure you that when a discovery is made,
NOTHING can keep someone from wanting to tell the world.  When I reach a
milestone, I am excited, I am proud - I call my mom, I call my advisor,
I call a few trusted friends (so that word doesn't get out before I can
publish it/get credit for the work)... Academia is a very different
world made up of people who WANT to do research, who WANT to find those
breakthroughs and who WANT to be able to say "Wow, look what a
difference I've made."

My department receives funding from several government agencies, but
those agencies have no control over our publications!  Nothing in the
world come keep me from publicizing the breakthroughs of our research :)

Always searching for a breakthrough...
Susan Fisher