[IP] Re: Getting ready for Day Camp

Sorry I haven't been writing but since getting back from Orlando I have been
prepping for camp.

Laura started day camp this past Monday and I have been a nervous wreck
since.  This is Laura's 3rd year attending this camp.  Last year, laura was
on MDI and, believe it or not, it was easier to handle then having her at
camp with her pump.  Last year my husband would go and test her for lunch
and give her her shot (if she needed one; she was on 3 shots a day:
Breakfast, Dinner and Bedtime, and lunch if necessary).  Now this is a whole
other ballgame:  making sure none of the other kids touch her pump (everyone
is very curious),  testing before each snack (2-3 a day) and at lunch and
bolusing for them all, making sure she is disconnected and then reconnected
at pooltime (twice a day).

Well the first day of camp my husband stayed all day to make sure the
counselors got comfortable with Laura's D (we had met with them prior to
camp but didn't get a high level of comfort).  Day 1 - he didn't feel
comfortable.  He then decided to stay the week, if necessary.

Well Day 2 of camp, Laura is telling him to go to work, that she can handle
her own diabetes, she doesn't need him or the counselors!!! She carried on
terribly.  She claimed she would test herself before each snack and at lunch
and call him or I from the camp office with an adult (Camp Director or
counselor present)to determine her bolus.  She would have the someone check
her number as she programmed her bolus.  If she felt low she would go the
office and test (the office is where all her supplies are and her low box).
She would disconnect and reconnect herself..no problem!! She had it all
worked out!!!  How long had she been thinking of this!!???

My husband called me practically in tears.  He stayed close to camp all day.
  She tested and called him and did everything she said she would without
any help.  Her counselors and Camp Director were amazed at her maturity for
a 6 year old. Day 3 the same thing.  P.S. her numbers have been wonderful,
no highs and no lows (hurry, someone knock on wood).

We are so very proud of her.  I want to let her know just how grown-up she
is being about all this, more grown-up then some adults.  I tell her but I
wish there was something more we could do.  She is not a typical 6 year old,
I always thought it but now she is proving it.  I'm still scared though and
I am grateful me husband is only 10 minutes from camp.  The pump has been a
godsend but in this instance the MDI doesn't look that bad, but no going
back now.

Laura Lentini-Iaffaldano, New York
Mother of Laura, age 6, dxed 12/21/98
Pumping on MM508 since 1/11/00