Re: [IP] MAJOR insurance malfunction - help needed ASAP!

In a message dated 6/29/00 8:49:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time, email @ redacted

<< Money spent on prevention is always more cost effective than spending money
 on treatment. >>
   Very valid point...This is THE argument I used to get our insurance
company to reimburse us for Melissa's CDE visits after they'd sent a letter
reminding their members not to use the ER in lieu of a doctor's visit, due to
the astronomical charges. I politely wrote back & said that, given their
cost-conscious corporate culture (like that alliteration???), and considering
that my daughter's one visit to an ER cost a whopping $1100 for essentially
being hooked up to an IV for hydrating her ( she wasn't in DKA as it turned
out, but we were then newbie pumpers), that it certainly behooved them to pay
for VERY valuable education which would enable us to self-manage any
potential problems. My letter was sent to the head of benefits (easy enough
to get that name) & yes, they DID reimburse us for that year's monthly visits.
    I didn't repeat that request because after having had them pay for tens
of thousands of dollars for my cancer treatments, I was a tad embarrassed to
ask for 80% of the $48 for her visits....but if for nothing more than the
principle of it, guess it's time to do so again with the accrued receipts.
    Of all that I've learned from this "on-the-job-training" in the medical
morass, the #1 most important rule of thumb remains: If you don't ASK, you
can't get a YES!!!

Regards, Renee (Melissa's pump mom)