[IP] Exp. pumpers losing site of beginnings

Dr. Andy wrote:
> Experienced pumpers often lose sight of what it was like in the beginning
> not because of anything more than familiarity and comfort with pumping.

Some of this depends on how *experienced* we are talking about. Two years
might no longer be considered a newbie. My first 2 pumps delivered in whole
units only - none of this 0.1 stuff. If we had a basal (one basal at that)
of 1.0 that meant we got a unit each hour. The pump did know if it was a
higher or lower rate than 1.0  when to give the whole unit. There was a
Supplemental Basal rate that could be set to override the regular one. Once
the basal rate was set over a period of a month of 3 a.m. testings, *I* was
set for life. No instructions to ever do it again. No such thing as carb
counting either. BGs were done by cutting visually-read strips in 1/3s to
save $$$.  This was almost as bad as one shot a day of NPH/Reg. The best
thing about the good old days is -- they're gone!  Then when time goes by
they figure since you've been doing this so long you must know all the new
procedures. Yeah, we assimulated them through our *leashes.*  I just learned
last year to put the 0.5u prime INSIDE me after a site change to take up the
slack of the introducer needle. Great BGs after site changes since. Always
had highs (300s+) before.
Jan (61 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83) & Bluda Sue (MM507C, 3/99)  webpage