[IP] pumping while in surgery & the Soft Serter CRUTCH

I am so surprised by the "fight" some of us have had regarding keeping the
pump on while in surgery.  I have been on several pumps in the last almost 17
years and in that time I have had surgery on my hands four times, two
c-sections, and one laser surgery on my eye.  Throughout all of this, I was
NEVER asked to take the pump off.

Only for the C-sections was I told to put the infusion set in "as high on the
abdomen" as I could.

I live in St. Louis and grew up in a small town three hours north of here and
I imagine that if I would be in my former hometown, keeping the pump on would
have been a fight.  So many of the doctors there were backwards, like my old
doc who I almost demanded to be put on a two shot a day schedule when I was
nineteen.  Went back after I was put on the first pump and showed him how it

Keep up the fight to keep your pumps.  During and immediately after each of
these seven surgeries my blood sugar never got above 170.  I truly believe it
helps with recovery and healing not to be also battling high or rollercoaster
blood sugars.

Oh by the way, Minimed nicely came out with the Soft Serter about one month
before my first surgery on my hands.  I was so happy to get mine because if I
would have had a problem with the site and would have had to change sooner
than the planned three days, I would have had to go to my endocrinologists
office for help from his RN, CDE.  My husband won't touch any of my diabetes
stuff.  I think he is afraid of blood or germs or who knows, maybe the Boogie
man.  I was able to manage it all one handed (even with my right hand
bandaged) with this device.  I love mine and would feel lost without it.

Carole H.