Re: [IP] Insurance Ed Classes

Another option is too talk to your DR.  They can't do anything but they
might be able to tell you who to go through.  It was my dr that told me to
go through MiniMed when my insurance refused to pay for the pump.  That
info got me my pump in about a week.

			Sam!

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Bonnie Richardson wrote:
> 	I had one 45 minute and 3 fifteen minute sessions with my educator.
> She was great. I started right out on Humalog and inserted the first time. I
> had problems with BCBS paying ed classes. I kept getting the bill, and I
> kept saying bill BCBS.  BCBS said the doctors office wasn't coding it
> correctly.  This went back and forth for several months.  The educator had
> since moved on to go to work with MiniMed.  Doctor's office said the
> Education part was separate from the Doctor's visit.    I kept telling them
> I made an appointment with my Doctor, he greeted me each time and walked me
> to a room next to his office and left me with the Educator.  I was never
> told this is a separate billing, and a separate part of the visit...I really
> raised hell and finally they took it off the bill.   I of course had paid my
> $20 co pay each visit.
>
> 	I know I was a bitch about it and it went on for 8 months....but I
> was so mad.   Now I feel humbled because it was only $35 each visit.    The
> insurance company won...they never paid.   But I wrote so many letters (have
> always been a squeaky wheel) I think the docs office just gave up.
>
> 	So, message to all pumpers,  Yell, write letters,  call whomever,
> senators, insurance commissioners, I even wrote the CEO of the National and
> State BCBS to get test strips covered (They are now).  Do whatever it takes.
> Eventually they will get tired of all these noisy pumpers who stand up for
> their rights and just give us what we need with no hassles (and pigs can
> fly).
>
> 	It is ridiculous logic to hand you an insulin pump with no
> instructions and expect you to know how to use it...The thing is, I believe,
> that pump educators are a separate group of individuals and not a service of
> the doctors office.  They are paid separately, not necessarily through endos
> office.  That needs to be changed, so we don't have this stupid hassle.
> 	Bonnie Richardson

		               Samantha Rohwer
		             email @ redacted
		   	      AOL IM - Sammyr369