[IP] How to help end the "Scary Hospital Stories"

I work at a large hospital in New Jersey (Facilities Management thank you) and the best way to solve the problem is put the response you want in writing up front and have the facility acknowledge it in writing when you are admitted.  Ths is called in hospitalspeak "ADVANCE DIRECTIVE" which is called "instructions by the rest of the people.  Its no prevention for stubbornness or stupidity but it gives the hospital a chance to see if they can handle your unique situation or if you should be shopped somewhere else; it let's everybody know you are special since advance directives should be in a prominant place ( on top) in your chart; and if everything else fails it gives you a heads up on getting somebodies attemtion when the directive is being ignored. (JCAHO is the body that regulates many of the US Hospitals - you call them with a report of an ignored advance directive and if the hospital hasn't already reported it, a lot of people from the COO down will be sitting uncomfortab!
ly for a while).  I do not advocate doing this for minor items, but if we pumpers are to safely survive as a group, we need to be the best and most articulate advocates for our needs.  I know we had a wallet card for the ER on the list a few month's ago - maybe a fill-in the blank advanced directive is the next form we need to create - Bob Nnn