Re: [IP] pumping for surgery

Claudia,
I have experienced both good and bad w/surgeries.  I would find out who your
anethseologist (sp?) is and meet w/him or her or call them and voice your
concerns. Write down on a piece of paper how to suspend if your bg is too low
and how to bolus if it sky rockets for some reason.  I would also visit the
surgery site b/f your actual surgery and explain a bit about the pump to some of
the surgical nurses.  Even if they don't happen to be your nurse they will pass
the info on to whoever is.  Someone earlier posted a form that diabetic
educators give their patients who have to go to the ER.  It tells medical
personnel NOT to disconnect the pump.  Also, if the place you're having your
surgery is in a hospital there is probably a diabetic educator there.  During my
bad experience no one would listen to me about my pump.  Finally, I told them to
call the diab. educator  She came down and talked to all of the know it alls and
they found out that they didn't know it all about insulin pumps or this form of
diabetes management.  My endo and surgeon also told everyone way ahead that I
was not to use a dextrose drip.  A plain drip w/out dextrose works just as good
and it does not screw up blood sugars.  My docs also told everyone that I knew
more about the pump than they did and to let me be.  Of course, they monitored
me while I was dopey but all in all - if you stay on your toes- you should do
great!  Good luck in your surgery.
Santana