Re: [IP] Explaining the pump

> I agree with this scenario being scary.  I
> have been in the ER too and had to deal with
> medical personnel who wanted to remove my pump
> while I was there. They were sort of
> condescending - like, "Santana, we are going
> to remove your pump.  Don't worry we can
> test your blood sugar levels while you are
> here.  How much NPH do you take w/your pump?"
> UGHHHHHHH!!!!  Here I am sick as a dog and
> viciously fighting for my pump to stay put.
> I can't believe how ignorant the medical
> staff in ER's are about pumps.  I can't
> believe medical professionals are not taught
> a little bit about it w/the diabetes seminar
> (or wherever else they get their diabetic
> education).
In my experience, medical personel are deathly afraid
of written complaints.  If I were in that situation I
could see myself saying.

"Do you intend to refuse treatment if I don't let you
take this off? Fine.  I'll find another E.R., except to
receive a cc of the letter I'll be writting your chief
of staff tomorrow."

or, give tit-for-tat condescencion:

"In even suggesting that you've proven you're
unqualified, find me another physician or listen to
someone who IS qualified." *point-at-self*

or perhaps less direct sarcasm:

"I came here to get better, not worse.  I believe
you're look for the euthanasia ward, it's down the hall
to the left."

or then of course there's blunt aggression:

"Do it, and you'll draw it back a bloody stump." --
(Quote courtessy of my 7th grade study hall supervisor,
funny the pearls of wisdom that stick with ya)

-Sara G.