Re: [IP] pumping for surgery

Well for major surgery i had recently, I was actually quite glad  that they
took my pump away for a day.  With all the bodily stress there is no
reasonable way to control BG with a pump.  And as much as I was enjoying
the morphine drip, I was in no shape or desire to fiddle with the buttons.
BGs go up very rapidly and seemingly randomly, and a pump is way too slow.
Yes , nobody  in whole damn OR knows how to treat diabetes, but a 400
reading is acceptable during the surgery.  Diabetics used to live for years
with a 300-400 BG , so one day up in the sky won't do anylong term harm.
They give IV insulin to control BG, and this is the best way to go.  It
drops the BG to whatever level they wanted in a few min.  It just takes a
nurse or PA who is watching the BG every couple of hours.  The minor
surgery  I have  had was quite different.  There I wanted and had full
control of the pump and my BGs

> When I
> had surgery earlier this month, the anesthesiologist thought Elvis would
> automatically give me insulin to cover my (non-existent) breakfast. For
> reason, he insisted on running dextrose so I wouldn't go low. I finally
> tired of trying to explain and just corrected after surgery.
> Jan (and Elvis)
<<<<<<<<<<<<I got to thinking yesterday that the CGMS will eventually be
very nice
during surgery when all involved can actually detect highs and lows and
correct as needed. Forget the times when they nonchalantly let a BG rise to
400 as happened to a friend who had open heart surgery. My next surgery when
they freak out with insulin being pumped into me is to ask if they routinely
remove the pancreases of non-DMers before surgery, too. (~_^)
Jan (& Bluda Sue)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>