[IP] Re: explanations

[Hey, I remembered to change my subject line this time!]

Recently Melissa mentioned:

> I was just wondering how some of you explain the pump to people...

Somewhere (on the IP website, perhaps? anyone have a pointer?) there are
some humorous responses you can make. For instance: "That's my personal
detonator... you're not wearing anything flammable, are you?"  Or "That's my
communicator; I call the mother ship every night."

I generally respond with some silly remark like that, then go on to a simple
explanation of what's going on. I find the common misunderstanding, even
among folks who have heard about insulin pumps, is that they expect the pump
to be totally automatic. They're actually disappointed when they find out I
have to do _more_ BGs than before, and have to do the math and push the
buttons myself.

Keith Johnson
Fleischmann Planetarium
email @ redacted
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."