Re: [IP] explain...

In a message dated Mon, 26 Jun 2000  3:19:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time, email @ redacted writes:

<< I just tell people like it is... in fact I let people see my pump.. a little
public education can go a long way.>>

I'm expecting my Minimed pump to arrive tomorrow. So I haven't worn a pump yet. However, I think that it would be a good thing if we all wear our pumps in plain sight.  That would be one very apparent way to increase awareness about diabetes.

Last week, I told a co-worker that I know well and who knows I am IDDM (it's not a secret to anyone I work with) that I'm getting a pump.  She seemed very surprised that I would require such extreme/intensive treatment.  That is my impression of her reaction, not her actual words.  I think that most people, even if they are aware that diabetics have to take multiple daily injections, aren't at all aware of all that being diabetic entails.

I look forward to using the pump as a tool to let people know that being diabetic isn't fun and we aren't cured by insulin.  I agree with those who say that we haven't made our presence well enough known.  Although we all want to be treated "normal" and not stand out, hiding the condition does not help the cause of public awareness.

When I was younger, I tried to hide being diabetic, but since getting older, I now welcome the opportunity to educate aquaintences about "sugar" diabetes (have we succeeded in making that term extinct yet?).  Education is the only way to make progress towards eliminating the misconceptions.

Age 36, IDDM 30 years, about to start pumping