[IP] scar tissue

>>Subject: [IP] re:  scar tissue
My cousin has had a pump for almost 20 years now. he mentioned that he has
so much scar tissue he doesn't have a site left without any.  Can anyone
explain more in detail?  Does that mean it is harder for the insulin to be
absorbed?  Is it more painful to insert? I know he meant on the inside of
the body,  but does it have any affect on the outside?  Thanks again for all
the help.  I would be still be totally in the dark if it wasn't for my
internet buddies! Beth K. Mom to Braden, 3 dx'd @ 2<<

>Yes, the scar tissue are places where you can no longer put needles.  It
>often looks pretty bad too.  But, I'm now in year 18 on a pump and he may
>be overlooking that some of our scar tissue comes from things that have
>changed in recent years: i.e. new insulins (velosulin made a huge
>difference for me when it first came out), new sets -- the silouettes and
>sof sets don't cause the damage
>that wearing those old needles did, more knowledge about when to change
>and tape/bandages that don't cause the problems the old ones did. So, those
>things have all improved.  However, yes, there is still some scar tissue
>time.  That's also true of shots but you put less in at a time and the
>are smaller >Ruth

Recently I snipped a post (no name of poster) and retitled it. Another IPer
*set me straight* commenting as to what the original post had said. Often
posts generate other comments. I do believe that is allowed. I'm going to
follow up on this one since it is a spinoff of the one I had *snipped.*  I
wondered why someone would want to inject into a site when many people are
looking for sites to last longer for little ones. The above is a case in
point. I had hills and valley legs for many years due to 45u shots; going on
the pump helped to relieve those bumps. However, when as much as 300
possible units for some will be absorbed into one site over a period of a
few days, scar tissue will eventually build up. I have often taken an
injection over the last 17 years of pumping to preserve a site. I'd rather
shoot 6-10u into an arm once in awhile than to wear out a site. When I broke
my foot in '87 many of my boluses were injections since I had to run basals
almost double their usual rates. That meant the same amount of insulin was
absorbing in a site and it lasted the same amount of time (4-5 days). I know
we don't want to poke a little child more than we have to, but I read (reed)
where some are getting 6-8 shots a day - so pumping in little people
(changed after a few days) and searching for new, unused sites may be
difficult because of their size, still leads me to think a shot in an arm
with a bolus would be better than causing sites to want a rest after awhile.

As Ruth said, "however, their still is some scar tissue over time...).  We
now have better infusion sets, better insulin, etc., therefore, these little
ones will be celebrating birthdays into the 100s galore (hopefully with a
cure). We don't know what amount of scar tissue will be building anyway.
Someone just said that their child will listen to another DMer and their
parent isn't - well, I AM one, too. It will be 50 years in November. I know
whereof I speak. YMMV  (~_^)
Jan (61 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83) & Bluda Sue (MM507C, 3/99)
website: http://maxpages.com/bludasue