[IP] just received Pumping Insulin today -

 I just received this book and went straight to the children and teens
chapter. I read through it quickly and need to read it again with a magnfying
glass, but on first glance  I'm less than thrilled with this chapter. I think
they (Barb Schreiner and Shannon Brow) completely miss the point that PUMP
THERAPY IMPROVES QUALITY OF LIFE.   Anyone else have an opinion about this

I hope no one will present the following to their child as the first thought
about pumping as I was really taken aback by the inclusion of "Dr. Stephen W.
Ponder's anaology" on page 183: "Think about the pump like your family  dog
on a leash.  Imagine bringing your dog on the leash along as you take a bath,
eat out at restaurants, or when you play your championship soccer game.
Imagine sleeping with your dog on a leash in your bed!  Imagine taking the
leashed dog to school, being around your friends, and taking him on a date
with you.  If you think you can do this for three days, you probably have an
idea what it would be like to have an insulin pump connected to your body 24
hours a day, 7 days a week!"

My 12 year old son's response to the above paragraph:  "That is such bs! You
can silence the pump, you can hide it on a date.  A leashed dog tries to
break away and is annoying.  An insulin pump is connected and has no emotion
whatsoever.  Is your pancreas a leashed dog? This is almost a pancreas.  Does
that doctor really know anything about kids on the pump? Sounds like he

There was also an example of a child who is forgetful, so rather than have
the child (forget to) bolus with snacks during the day, they incorporate the
basal insulin to cover the snack.  My question is, WHAT IF HE FORGETS TO EAT
THE SNACK???????

I'll go reread the chapter now.

Ellen H. Ullman
Mom, Advocate for children with diabetes and their parents, Friend,
Webmaster...<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/CamelsRFun/index.html">
http://members.aol.com/CamelsRFun/index.html </A> aka KidsRPumping (Children
using the insulin pump).
 SUPPORT FUNDING A CURE FOR DIABETES.  <A HREF="http://www.drinet.org">