Re: [IP] Re: Doing too much for my son

Oh Lori,
I ask myself this same question regarding my 14 year old daughter at least
once a week.  The trap I get into is to constantly ask her if she has checked
and bolused.

One thing my husband and I do with our daughter is to prioritize with her,
those times when her involvement is critical.  We allow her to slack off when
she is with us (either in the home or out).  We take a greater role in
management at these times.  When she is out with her friends or at school,
obviously she is on her own and needs to have a different mindset.  At least
until she returns home when she can relax a bit on her management.
Another important time is right before bedtime.  I can't tell you how many
times on a school night she has walked into our bedroom at 10:00p.m. (when my
husband and I are reading and trying to wind down for the day) and announced
that she wants to change her site.  It would be nice if she thought to change
her site earlier in the evening because 1) we all need to go to bed at a
reasonable hour, and 2) we need to make sure that the site change was a good
one and the insulin absorption is what it should be throughout the night.  We
obviously can't do this if she goes right to bed after the site change.
Another bedtime issue is having a snack and bolusing aggressively.  We are
trying to teach her that, right before bedtime, if you have a snack, be
conservative with the bolus.  Do a slightly smaller bolus than you would
during the day.  Obviously, this is a strategy to reduce middle of the night
Our daughter is absolutely fantastic to work with on diabetes.  (We also have
a son who would not be as adaptable if he had it.  Fortunately, he has been
tested and will not get it.)  But we are all human, and need help in this.
The challenge is consistency, and the never ending nature of the routine.  As
my daughter has said to us "I''ve had this for almost 3 years and I'm tired
of this."  Oh boy. We say nothing.  Not even "I know" because she has already
made the point in her quite articulate way, "No, you don't."  She's right.