Re: [IP] UNappreciated lecture

Sounds awful!

I've learned that much of how diabetics (type 1) get treated is in how they
present themselves.  It has little to do with you A1C.  I finally (when I
was pregnant) really got that I didn't have to be soooo honest. So instead,
I might try something like "My control is pretty good, especially for a
teenager, but I would like my A1Cs to be perfect and they aren't there yet
so I am still working on it"  and, apropos the candy "sometimes I have more
trouble with the lows from not eating enough than the highs".  While this
is not strictly true, its not untrue either.  For years 7 was a pretty good
# for a teenager.

People have been telling me this for years and it took me forever to get
it.  It was driven home to me when I had to go to the endo all the time
when I was pregnant and I watched how the dieticians and CDEs treated
people more according to the category they fit into than anything else.
There I was, suddenly, for the first time in my life, a white,
well-educated, married woman with a good job, a well-employed husband who
was clearly involved and I noticed how much nicer and more accepting
medical people were than all those years when I was on my own, struggling
financially etc.  It's completely unfair, but to get the kind of care and
helpful response you deserve I guess maybe sometimes you play the game.