[IP] poo-poo on Braden's endo

< Just talked with Braden's endo. No pump with him. He's too concerned
about 'developmental' reasons.  He's been a great endo 'till now, but I'm
mad as fire  He said how can the child run and play, what if kids make fun,
he'll be attached to something what if the pump comes out at school? >

Beth - Adam is 4 1/2 and has been pumping almost 5 months. We love it and
although there were a few hard times, we would not go back. He has adjusted
beautifully to it and never asks to take it off. He does everything every
other kid does, other than having to wait a minute for us to disconnect him
before he swims and bathes. He shows the pump to everyone that asks, and
the kids at school are fine (well, they are only 4) but some have asked
questions about it and I've tried to explain it simply to them.

Kids will make fun of anything/anyone - that is not a valid reason not to
have a pump! It is all in the way the child thinks of it and if he is
comfortable with it. I think Adam has done well because he is young enough
not to say "No, I don't want to wear this" like some other kids I know that
are 5 and 6 and up. He has accepted it from Day 1. As for school issues,
they would just have to call me if there was a problem, I wrote everything
down for them and I have a cell phone with me when I'm not home for

I used to hate meal times, especially getting him to eat mid-afternoon - it
seemed that the N peaked differently and it drove me crazy. I hated having
to "bribe" him with sweets to eat. No more of that! If he doesn't want to
eat, or eat only 3 hot dogs, then that's great. If we go to a birthday
party, he eats however much he wants, same as the other kids. I just have
to go with him and bolus every little while.  And the night time feeding
for lows - he would have to have a juice box and a starch to get him
through, now on the odd occasion when he's low at night, just a juice box
is enough.

Tell the endo to log onto insulin-pumpers.org and read the testimonials
about all the kids!

Linda, mom to Adam, 4 1/2, pumping 5 months, and Jenna, 2 1/2, non-d