Re: RE[IP] Cure for diabetes

Melba D Fisher <email @ redacted> wrote:

> The ADA, The federal Government, and private individual provide millions
> in grants for research so the companies aren't out much.
>   Do you know any Drug Reps they make mega bucks, especially compared to
> most Diabetics

Melba, it's quite clear to me that you know little about the funding and research process.  When I get a little more time, I'll post a fairly extensive message about how research is funded.  Suffice it to say that the United States government has absolutely nothing to gain by hiding any kind of cure.  Further, once funds are granted to a research project, the United States government (representing *YOU*, BTW) has no control over the progress of the research other than to investigate allegations of breaches of ethics in that research.  This freedom from direct involvement in the research is mandated by law.  Approximately 70% of all budgeted health related funding goes in to grants, cooperative agreements, and contracts.  Most of the research done on diabetes is done in academic settings with either public funding in the form of government grants, or grants from other agencies such as the ADA, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundations, the JDF, etc.  It does *NOT* come from pharmaceutical companies.

IOW, when it comes to basic research regarding DM, pharmaceutical companies are pretty much out of the picture, regardless how much reps make (very unlikely that it is the "mega bucks" you suggest).

Please, Melba -- spend some time getting some *facts* before you make these charges.

More on this later.

Jim Handsfield
a federal employee very much involved in public health research at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
email @ redacted

The opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of my wife who runs this house and makes more important decisions than I do.