Re: [IP] deciding not to check

> Linda,

 Just wanted to tell you that a lot of diabetic kids have done the same thing as
your son.  (I'm sure there will be a ton of postings now saying "my child is
responsible and would never do such a thing")  I've been diabetic since 1979 ( I
was 6 ).  When I was 8 or 9 I told my mom that my urine tests were negative (back
when we didn't have access to blood glucose machines).  The entire time I was
using water and no urine!  I did this for months upon months.  I'm disgusted with
myself now for doing it but at the time I had something else going on or felt
like it was too big of a inconvenience. Mainly I felt like it was too much of an
inconvenience so I just ignored it. Of course, my parents (especially my mom)
were irate when they found out.  My mom and dad were shocked that I would do such
a thing.  I was always so good about everything. I was grounded, had to clean the
house, couldn't talk on the phone etc etc etc.  It didn't help though.  I
continued being lazy about my diabetes for another few years until I realized the
consequences of my irresponsible actions. Fortunately, I haven't had to deal with
any complications due to my mini vacations from the diabetice life.

My point is that your son is not the only one who has done this.  I'm sure lots
of diabetics are guilty of doing it when they were a child.  Heck, when I was at
diabetic camp kids showed up with Snicker bars hidden in their back packs and
luggage. Just wanted to let you know that Kevin is not the only one and that
there is hope.  Good luck.
dx'd 1979 - pumping for 2+ years.