[IP] From an editorial re pumping

>From Endocrin Practice, May/June 2000, Vol 6, Number 3

Insulin Pump Therapy: No Longer a Fad  p. 277
Irl B. Hirsch MD, Seattle WA

Here's just a bit (perhaps taken out of context? although I don't think so).

..Although CSII has been available for patients for 20 years, most of this
expansion of use has occurred during the past few years.  Why has this
therapeutic modality been so slow to gain acceptance?

....In addition, initiation of CSII in a typical office setting has been
perceived as being a difficult and labor intensive task.  Furthermore, until
recently, most endocrinologists did not have formal instruction in CSII as
part of their fellowship training.  At a recent  national meeting of
endocrine fellows, an informal poll showed that this therapeuitc strategy
still was not routinely taught. Therefore, once in practice, endocrinologist
would have to learn the principles of CSII on their own.  More commonly, each
geographic area had a site known to be "pump friendly".  Many
endocrinologists did not see the benefit of being expert in this therapy.

...however I will continue to offer this therapy as an option to all patients
with diabetes who are good candidates.

Of course my question is who is a good candidate for injection therapy?  :-)