Re: [IP] Member Update on Santana Kortum-Managhan

No one I talked to who was a long term (more than 10 years) type 1 diabetic had
a totally anything first 3 months but the doctors seemed to concur that
basically the baby needs a tad more insulin but your body is burning more much
faster and your hormones are raging -- most of the time, I needed less until
about 3 months with some big drops in month..

But, if she was put on a diabetes diet with a certain number of calories and
that number is greater than she would have been eating before, she may see her
insulin dose go up.  There seems to be a tendency to require those old ADA 6
times a day diets from diabetics although those who've worked with pumps for a
while seem to have gotten over it.  The problem with those diets is that they
want you to eat a lot until the 3rd trimester when they suddenly tell you you
shouldn't have gained so much weight or be eating so much. At that point, the
extra weight is a lot to deal with.  You do need to eat more when your pregnant
though all the sources I asked and looked at disagreed about whether you do or
don't need extra calories starting at month 1, 2,3 or 4.  You don't need that
much more though.

Another thing that might raise her need for insulin is simply the rising hormone
levels.  Among pregnant friends here and the mom's group I hang out with, there
was wide variation (kind of like menstral stuff) in how much individual women
felt sort of overdosed on their own hormones those first 3 months.  As usual,
the answer is really a generalization. You just want to check that you aren't
1). eating too much (or too little) and 2) that you aren't taking too much
insulin because on basal rates with poor timing or compensating for swings.

Hope that helps a little.