[IP] endo poo-poo

Hi Beth,
    I know how you feel.  My Dr. said I didn't need a pump when I asked
for one.  I was in too good of control. He told me "we can't all get the
newest toys".  He also said he couldn't justify it to my insurance
company. But, I really like him.  I've been going to him for 20 years
and he got me through to pregnancies.  He had never had a patient on a
pump.  He just needed to be educated.  I talked to my CDE who is very
pro pump adn we devised a plan.  I joined this list asked for info from
anyone who had had good control before and asked how it had improved
their situation.  I copied and pasted all the testimonies I got and
printed them out.  I wrote him a letter listing reasons I whought I
would benefit from a pump. I asked him to please take a few minutes and
read the attached testimonies. I also got names of two pro pump Drs.
from my CDE and asked them to please talk to them.
    He called me the day after he got my letter said he had tolked with
one of the Drs. and was sending the paperwork in for me to get a pump.
    You have to decide if you like your endo enough to try and educate
him or not.  I live in a small town in Northern Minnesota so, I didn't
have alot of options. But the results were worthwhile.
    I have seen posts about children actually growing 6" taller when
they got on the pump because their growth had been slowed by out of
control diabetes. Here's one post I had saved for a friend:

    Jessica is 8, but can still be considered a "little one" as she is
46" tall
and weighs 45 pounds, about the size of a 5-6 year old.  She has no fat
anywhere on her body except her hiney so we use 6mm Rapids there.  We've

tried legs but she is too active and always ends up with alot of blood
her line.  the butt sites work great for us though, and she has managed
learn how to change her own site...she looks like a pretzel while doing
She amazes her counselors at camp this year with her knowledge of
and carb counting (insert proud mama smile here)!

On another note, for those of you that were interested, Jessica actually

grew 2 inches in the past year!  We are going to have her growth hormone

rechecked when she gets back from camp in July, and another bone age
done, but maybe we won't have to go the route of growth hormone.  Even
the pump it will be hard to control blood sugars if she has to do it.
wait and see what the endo says.  Sure is nice to have one Dr. that can
care of both problems!!!

Mom of Jessica, age 8, diagnosed @ 9 months, pumping 1.10 years &
Jarred, 9

Good luck,