Re: [IP] poo-poo on endo

I agree!  Sarah is 2, and we just switched endos (albeit temporarily) to get
someone to put her on the pump.  We had to drive 2 hours to get to him--no
one closer, and if he wasn't interested, Yale was the next stop on the tour
(a long drive from PA!)  I emailed the CDE who works with Dr. Tamborlane
(the guy who actually helped develop pumps) with questions about our
hesitant pediatrician who thinks we are turning our kid into a science
project, and here's her response:
> Dear Penny,
>
> We have only 1 2 year old at the present time.  She was 18 months when we
> started her.  She is doing quite well.  We have many 3 and 4 year olds.
> All young children do quite well on pumps.  If your Endo thinks it is a
> good idea, why won't he or she start your daughter?  Your pediatrician is
> obviously misinformed.  We have 38 kids <7 on pumps and they  are all doing
> quite well.  Their average HbA1c is 6.5%  with very little hypoglycemia or
> hyperglycemia.  The hyperglycemia is the most dangerous and causes long
> term complications as you know.  If this can be avoided, why would someone
> not chose pump treatment.  I'm not sure what else we can say, except it is
> well worth  the effort.
It convinced me!