[IP] Thyroid

> Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 16:21:44 -0400
> From: "SHEILA MORRIS" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] Re: Cough that won't go away
> I have a thyroid problem because of various symptoms I have (but my
> thyroid levels always come back normal) and the fact that I've had a small
> goiter for about 8 years.  On my Dr's appt on Friday, to make my case once
> again about the thyroid, I told her that I often feel like I have a golf
> ball in my throat and that I have to swallow many times sometimes to get
> food down.   She has me scheduled for a Barium swallow on the 6th of July
> see if I have GERD.  I told her that I don't have heart burn!  She said
> if nothing shows on the swallow then she would try the Thyroid meds.

Around '77 I had a very enlarged neck and would choke in the middle of the
night, often! I could not button the neck of a size 16 blouse. All tests
showed negative - besides they had been *watching* my Thyroid since my 2nd
pg in '62. Something HAD to happen cause I felt I could choke to death in my
sleep. My GP (at the time) wouldn't do anything because of the negative
tests. I told my GYN about it and he said he'd put me on Synthroid if the GP
didn't but I should ask again. I did. GP did. Shortly thereafter I could
button a size 12 blouse. Since thyroid problems are common with DM, do you
HAVE to go through more tests?
Jan (61 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83) & Bluda Sue (MM507C, 3/99)