Re: [IP] Pumping question?

My 4 1/2 year old son is using Tenders right now with his D pump.  We started out using the Micro Soft-sets but they seem to fall out too easily.  I don't know if the soft-sets were going in too deep on him or what, but after using them for 4 months with few complaints, he started crying from pain with every insertion, so we changed to the tenders.  Also, since we changed to tenders, his BS has been much lower, which makes me think that maybe the soft-sets were going in too deep and hitting muscle (or going beyond the sub-cutaneous layer).

The tenders have been great as far as sticking.  We swam at the pool 2 days in a row the other week and didn't have any problems with tape coming loose!  And, we can usually keep a Tender in for 3 days, whereas the micro soft-sets were usually falling out before 2 days was up.

Another thing I like about the tenders is that you can control how far in the cannula goes.  My little boy doesn't need to have the entire length of the cannula stuck in, just a portion of it.  And, if the insertion does hurt, you can take the set out and re-position it, if necessary (before you pull out the introducer needle, of course!).  So, you don't have to waste sets just because the first one hurt too much to leave in.

We have put Micro QR Soft-sets in the buttocks, tummy, and side.  We have only been able to convince Mark to let us put the Tenders in his buttocks so far.  He really freaks out when he sees that needle!  I have tried showing him that it doesn't hurt by inserting a tender into my own tummy, but he is not convinced by my demonstration.  He also has some unique challenges in finding suitable sites, since he has a pretty big scar running horizontally across his little belly from the pancreatecomy he had when he was 2 months old, and he has a tight belly with no fat to spare there!

It may take some experimenting to see what works best for your situation.  We have been pumping since Xmas and are still working out the kinks.

Best Regards,
Beth Mullen
Mom to 4 1/2 year old Mark, dx @ 2 months, pumping since Dec. 1999