[IP] New complications?

Having had dm for 33+ years, I have avoided some of the
complications (strong heart w/cholesterol of 124,
relatively good weight, rarely sick), I am learning that
many of my little problems are related to dm that were
formerly thought to have no relation.  Besides the common
ones that have always been associated (neuropathy,
gastroparesis, diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma, high blood
pressure, periodontal, penile implant) I have also had a
couple in which I was originally told that they had
absolutely no connection.  It turns out that I had frozen
shoulder and not rotator cuff, and that my carpal tunnel
is much more likely for dm'ers.  In '76 I was told that ct
was almost random and that they had no idea what caused
it, as little old ladies often got it and was not even
work related.  I couldn't get workmen's comp while
recovering from the surgery but was able to change my
position from jack hammer and sledge hammer to payloader
driver (while I was going to school).

I have now learned that I have a new one, that is
related.  It is rare but definitely a complication.  I
have mild pharyngeal aphasia(sp?).  It turns out that the
cough I've had (14 years) is caused by liquids being
pooled when I swallow, and eventually goes down the wrong
tube, which causes roughness in my esophagus and hence a
cough that does not go away.  My doctors have now
determined that it is a neuropathic/neurological problem
and they know of no real way to treat it, although I will
be going back to the speech therapist that performed the
barium drip, for exercises to help with my swallow.

Has anyone had this affliction, or similar ones.  Is there
any type of treatment that might be effective?  Because I
am particularly effected by these types of complications,
how many others of these problems are there to look
forward to?
Jack Granowski
email @ redacted
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in
their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away
from them, and you have their shoes.
 - Dave Barry